Sports News 12:30
BULLETIN SPORTS NEWS 18 August 12:30 pm
Good day, let’s look at the latest sports news and scores:
# First up is rugby: Springbok coach Rassie Erasmus says they are under no illusions about how the All Blacks want to play. He shrugged off the narrative coming out of New Zealand that the Boks are slowing down the game. Erasmus says they always try to find a balance when games are really tight:
Meanwhile, Bulls coach Johan Ackermann doesn’t think the All Blacks’ showing against his team, the Stormers and the Sharks is an indication of how they will fare against the Springboks. The visitors fairly easily defeated the three franchises before the first Test. The former lock, who played 13 Tests for South Africa between 1996 and 2007, points out the Boks will be more match-fit than the franchises, while All Blacks coach Dave Rennie also warned his side to up the ante against the world champions.
# Soccer: FIFA’s chief operating official, Kevin Lamour, has been fired after going public with criticism of president Gianni Infantino’s failed plan to sell part of the World Cup to investors last month. He described the controversial FIFA Forward Enterprise plans as the project of one person, adding staff were deceived. The proposal, which involved selling 21-percent of the governing body to private investment companies, received widespread criticism. Lamour’s departure follows the resignation of a senior adviser to Infantino, Carlos Cordeiro.
# Golf: LIV Golf has confirmed that its season-ending Team Championship event in Michigan has been cancelled. This week’s event in Indianapolis will be the last of the season. The breakaway league has faced an uncertain future since the Saudi Arabia Investment Fund withdrew its financial backing in April. LIV Golf CEO Scott O’Neil recently confirmed an agreement with a new unnamed lead investor to provide funding for the 2027 season. O’Neil says by ending the season early, they can now focus on maintaining the operational rigour this transition demands.
# And motorsport: Zandvoort will host its final Dutch Formula One Grand Prix this weekend after not being able to become financially viable. The event returned to the roster after an absence of 36 years in 2021, but the income didn’t match the popularity and the organisers have decided not to bid for an extension. Last year’s winner, McLaren’s Australian driver Oscar Piastri, is currently seventh in the drivers’ standing with 92 points, 127 points behind the leader, Mercedes driver Kimi Antonelli from Italy.
Stay tuned for more news………….