Sports News 12:30
BULLETIN SPORTS NEWS 2 July 12:30 pm
Good day, let’s look at the latest sports news and scores:
# We start off with soccer: The history-making Bafana Bafana squad received a hero’s welcome at the OR Tambo International Airport in Gauteng this morning. Although Bafana lost 1-0 to Canada in the round of 32 on Sunday, it was the first time in South African history that the national team had reached the knockout stages of a World Cup. Coach Hugo Broos says the support the team has received from South Africans has been amazing:
Staying with the World Cup, co-hosts the United States, England and Belgium are through to the last 16. The US defeated Bosnia-Herzegovina 2-0 in Santa Clara. Two goals from captain Harry Kane saw England come from behind to beat the Democratic Republic of Congo 2-1 in Atlanta. This is the first time England has won a World Cup knockout game from behind in 60 years. In Seattle, Belgium defeated Senegal 3-2 after extra time. The US will face Belgium, and England will take on co-hosts Mexico in the last 16.
# Cricket: The Proteas Women face co-hostess England in today’s second T20 World Cup semifinal at the Oval in London. Australia awaits the winner in Sunday’s final at Lord’s after easily beating the West Indies in Tuesday’s first semifinal. South Africa’s showing so far this tournament wasn’t very consistent, succumbing to Australia in their first match, followed by an unconvincing victory over Pakistan, a good showing against India, and an 88-run victory over the Netherlands. England is undefeated in the tournament so far.
# Rugby: Springbok flyhalf Manie Libbok says they are bracing themselves for a testing encounter against England in Saturday’s Nations Championship opener at Ellis Park. They wrapped up their main training block yesterday. England’s coach, Steve Borthwick, will announce his team today. Libbok, who has embraced his role as a conductor, directing traffic and ensuring they play in the right areas, says it’s his job to drive the team around the park:
# And tennis: World number one and defending champion, Jannik Sinner, is through to Wimbledon’s third round. The Italian beat Portugal’s Nuno Borges. Seven-time champion Novak Djokovic of Serbia continued his bid for a record-breaking 25th Grand Slam title by defeating Stefanos Tsitsipas of Greece. In the women’s draw, world number one Aryna Sabalenka of Belarus beat unseeded American McCartney Kessler. American Coco Gauff battled past Argentina’s Solana Sierra, while Czech Barbora Krejcikova stunned Russian teenager Mirra Andreeva.
Stay tuned for more news………….