News 11:00
BULLETIN 8 August 11 am
Good morning. I am……..
In this bulletin:
# The ANC is challenging Thandazani Madonsela’s recommendation as evidence leader for the impeachment committee
# Gun Free South Africa warns about the decline in licence renewals
# And, Not In My Name calls for more conversations on violence prevention
# ANC Secretary-General Fikile Mbalula says the party will formally object to National Assembly Speaker Thoko Didiza over the recommended appointment of Advocate Thandazani Madonsela as evidence leader for Parliament’s Section 89 impeachment committee. Mbalula argues Madonsela has a conflict of interest because he previously provided legal advice to the ANC on the same impeachment process. The ANC says it will submit its objections through the appropriate parliamentary channels as Parliament considers the final appointment.
# The National Conventional Arms Control Committee has authorised 64 contracting permits involving 27 countries, worth 17.8-billion-rand, during the first quarter of 2026. Justice and Constitutional Development deputy minister and Committee deputy chairperson, Andries Nel, announced approval of 86 munitions export permits valued at 855-million-rand, 76 import permits worth 82-million-rand, and 29 dual-use export permits valued at 172-million-rand. He says the committee remains committed to transparent arms control, accountability and compliance with domestic and international law.
# Gun Free South Africa has raised alarm over a sharp decline in firearm licence renewals, warning it poses a growing public safety risk. In an interview with the SABC, Executive Director Stanley Maphosa said licence renewals had dropped by about 75-percent since 2022. Maphosa added hundreds of thousands of firearm owners have failed to renew their licences following a Constitutional Court ruling, leaving those firearms illegally possessed. He urged police to trace owners who have not renewed their licences and enforce the law.
# Not In My Name International says the deaths of 17-year-old Cameron Waldeck-Cooks and 19-year-old Ethan Coetzee highlights gender-based violence and toxic masculinity. This after preliminary findings indicate that the Grade 11 learner at St Stithians Girls’ College in Johannesburg, died from strangulation and suffocation, while Coetzee may have taken his own life. Their bodies were found on Monday in Sabie, Mpumalanga. The organisation stresses the need for greater conversations with men and boys around emotional wellbeing, accountability and violence prevention.
# Trade union Solidarity says workers at Premier Foods have been left with more questions than answers over the possible closure of the canning factory in Tulbagh in the Western Cape. The union’s Gideon du Plessis fears the first consultation process facilitated by the Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration may be a formality, as fruit producers have reportedly already been told no more fruit will be bought:
# And rugby: All Blacks captain Patrick Tuipulotu says the Stormers tested their discipline and credited their strong physical dominance in their first clash of their South African tour in the Cape Town stadium last night that the visitors won by 38 – 21. Head Coach Dave Rennie also expressed frustration over the team’s finishing capability and lack of discipline, stating, they created a lot of opportunities for themselves, but their finishing was pretty poor. Tuipulotu said they appreciated the support from local fans:
Stay tuned for more news………….