News 06:00
BULLETIN 27 August 6 am
Good morning. I am……..
In this bulletin:
# The ANC rejects claims that the national dialogue is party-driven
# Parliament’s Justice Committee is concerned about the Madlanga Commission delays
# And, Bester and Magudumana file an urgent court application to stop the release of a Netflix documentary
# The ANC has dismissed claims that the national dialogue is being driven by the party. The party insists the process is non-partisan and intended to build consensus on South Africa’s pressing socio-economic challenges. ANC secretary-general Fikile Mbalula told the media the dialogue is a national initiative aimed at addressing poverty, unemployment, and inequality, and will involve all sectors of society. Mbalula added that portraying the process as an ANC project undermines efforts to build unity and find inclusive solutions:
# RISE Mzansi says Justice minister Mmamoloko Kubayi must appear before Parliament’s Portfolio Committee on Justice and Constitutional Development to explain delays in the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry. The party’s Mabine Seabe accuses Kubayi of failing to provide proper oversight to ensure the commission was resourced to begin work on 1 September. He welcomed action against senior officials, urging accountability and a new date for the commission’s start:
# Meanwhile, Parliament’s portfolio committee on Justice and Constitutional Development says it is also concerned with the delay in the proceedings of the Madlanga Commission of Inquiry. The commission is tasked with investigating allegations of criminality, political interference, and corruption in the criminal justice system. Procurement delays have forced the commission to postpone its hearings. The commission says it is concerning that the delay seems to be due to public servants not executing their responsibilities.
# Convicted rapist and murderer, Thabo Bester, and Nandipha Magudamana have filed an urgent court application to interdict the release of the Netflix documentary Beauty and the Bester. The three-part series, set to be released next month, retraces the 2023 scandal, from Bester’s prison escape to the couple’s arrest in Tanzania. The documentary also looks at the rise and fall of celebrity doctor Magudamana. Bester’s legal representatives say their client strongly disputes the accuracy, fairness and legitimacy of the content of the documentary.
# Britain’s interior ministry has agreed to adapt immigration arrangements to help several dozen students from Gaza take up fully funded United Kingdom university places next month. It is understood the students will be permitted to undergo biometric checks in a third country before travelling on to the UK to take up their places. However, the Israeli government would still need to agree to each student leaving Gaza, as diplomatic relations worsen with London. Prime Minister Keir Starmer announced last month that the UK will recognise a Palestinian state.
# Golf: The winner of next year’s South African Open will receive an invitation to participate in the US Masters. The tournament will be played in Stellenbosch in the Western Cape from 26 February, and will probably also be part of the qualifying series for the 154th British Open. This means it will be the direct route for Sunshine Tour members to two of the most iconic Majors. Tour commissioner Thomas Abt describes this as the tour’s further recognition as a valued member of the global golf ecosystem.
# And the financial indicators: The dollar trades at 17-rand-62-cents and the euro at 20-rand-51-cents. One British pound costs 23-rand-74-cents and Bitcoin trades at 111-thousand-960-dollar. Gold sells at three-thousand-391-dollars-97-cents a fine ounce and Brent crude oil is quoted at 66-dollars-61-cents a barrel.
Stay tuned for more news………….