News 11:00
BULLETIN 8 December 11 am
Good morning. I am……..
In this bulletin:
# SAFTU rejects government’s early retirement plan for public servants
# Police arrest another drug trafficker at OR Tambo International Airport
# And golf: Aldrich Potgieter is chasing his debut win in ‘Africa’s Major’
# SAFTU says it emphatically rejects the government’s plan to implement early retirement initiatives for public servants. Saftu’s spokesperson, Mogošadi Maserumule says this cost-cutting measure, aimed at reducing the public sector wage bill, threatens service delivery and jeopardises the livelihoods of thousands of working-class families. She says the National Treasury has allocated 11-billion-rand to fund the programme, targeting approximately 30-thousand employees for early retirement:
# A 43-year-old female Paraguayan drug mule from São Paulo in Brazil was arrested for alleged drug trafficking at OR Tambo International Airport in Kempton Park on Friday for alleged drug trafficking. Police spokesperson, Amanda van Wyk says the drug mule was taken to a local hospital where a medical x-ray revealed the presence of foreign objects in her stomach:
# The prince of Wales and US president-elect Donald Trump held 40 minutes of talks at the British ambassador’s residence after attending the reopening ceremony of the Notre-Dame Cathedral in Paris. According to Kensington Palace the pair discussed a range of global issues but focused on the importance of the UK-US special relationship. The palace added Trump also shared some warm and fond memories with prince William about his late grandmother, queen Elizabeth. It was the first time the pair had met since the American was re-elected president last month.
# Golf: The 20-year-old Aldrich Potgieter is on the brink of a dream debut in the Nedbank Golf Challenge and taking a three-stroke lead into today’s final round at the Gary Player Country Club. The young South African was given an invitation into the tournament by Gary Player and has grabbed the opportunity by taking the lead on seven under par following yesterday’s bogey-free 66. Italy’s Francesco Laporta and England’s Matthew Jordan are his nearest challengers. Defending champion Max Homa will start the final round four shots off the lead following a 72.
# And rumours circulating on social media regarding the death of the South Africa jazz icon, Abdullah Ibrahim, are untrue. The local concert promotor Roddy Quin has been in contact with Ibrahim’s international management, and they confirmed that he is indeed alive. The media and public are requested to refrain from spreading misinformation. The 90-year-old Ibrahim is one of South Africa’s most distinguished pianists and a world-respected master musician.
Stay tuned for more news………….